Re: Boot stall regression from "printk for 5.19" merge

From: John Ogness
Date: Sun Jun 19 2022 - 18:23:47 EST

Hi Marek,

On 2022-06-19, Marek Behún <kabel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the series
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel/YouKQw72H7y9EJQK@alley/
> merged by commit 537e62c865dc ("Merge tag 'printk-for-5.19' of
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/printk/linux")
>
> and in particular the commit 09c5ba0aa2fc ("printk: add kthread console
> printers")
>
> causes a regression on arm64 (Marvell CN9130-CRB board) where the
> system boot freezes in most cases (and is unusable until restarted by
> watchdog), or, in some cases boots, but the console output gets mangled
> for a while (the serial console spits garbage characters).

Could you provide your kernel config and a complete kernel boot log (at
least as much as you get)? I would like to investigate the serial
driver. What you are describing sounds more like a serial bug. The
kthread console series has already uncovered serial driver bugs in
multiple drivers.

Thanks for reporting this.

John Ogness