Re: linux-next: build failures after merge of the mm tree

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Tue Jun 21 2022 - 22:04:51 EST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 03:28:45PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:51:18 +0100 Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 03:11:31PM +0800, Muchun Song wrote:
> > > Thanks for your report. It is fixed in thread [1].
> > >
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220619133851.68184-3-songmuchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/ [1]
> >
> > No, it's a different problem. I suggest dropping/reverting
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20220617175020.717127-20-willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Dropping that creates awkwardness. How about just uninlining it?

Sure! We can also make compound_page_dtors static and drop the
declaration in linux/mm.h if we do that. I think there's a pile of
cleanup to be done around freeing pages/folios, partly from accretions
over the decades, and partly from the existence of folios between order
0 and 9. Not to mention Mel's recent addition of high-order PCP caching.

But I don't want to do that for this merge window.