Re: DMA-buf and uncached system memory

From: Thomas Zimmermann
Date: Thu Jun 23 2022 - 04:42:56 EST

Hi

Am 23.06.22 um 10:26 schrieb Christian König:
Am 23.06.22 um 10:13 schrieb Thomas Zimmermann:
Hi Christian

Am 15.02.21 um 09:58 schrieb Christian König:
Hi guys,

we are currently working an Freesync and direct scan out from system memory on AMD APUs in A+A laptops.

On problem we stumbled over is that our display hardware needs to scan out from uncached system memory and we currently don't have a way to communicate that through DMA-buf.

For our specific use case at hand we are going to implement something driver specific, but the question is should we have something more generic for this?

I had a patchset here that extends iosys-map (former dma-buf-map) with caching information. I'll post a copy.

Oh, nice. But why on iosys-map? We need that per DMA-buf.

It's returned via the dma-buf's vmap call within the iosys-map structure. If the dma-buf moves, the following vmap calls always return updated caching information. Maybe it's not quite what you need for Freesync?

I'll use this for format-conversion helpers, which do some optimizations for uncached memory.

Anyway, I have to look for that patch...

Best regards
Thomas

Thanks,
Christian.

Sorry for being late to reply.

Best regards
Thomas

After all the system memory access pattern is a PCIe extension and as such something generic.

Regards,
Christian.