Re: Linux 5.19-rc6

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Jul 14 2022 - 09:20:46 EST

On 7/14/22 00:23, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Hi Linus,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 11:51 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 2:01 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you want to apply Guenter's patch original patch:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/490184/
That's fine with me.

Honestly, by this time I feel that it's too little, too late.

[...]

So considering that the ppc people ignored this whole issue since the
merge window, I think it's entirely unreasonable to then apply a
ppc-specific patch for this at this time, when people literally asked
"why is this needed", and there was no reply from the powerpc side.

Oh, it's not just this one. The lists of build regressions between v5.18
and v5.19-rc1 [1] resp. v5.19-rc6 [2] look surprisingly similar :-(

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220606082201.2792145-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220711064425.3084093-1-geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How do you build your images ? I don't see many of the problems you report,
even if I build the files with W=1. It is odd, since reports such as

drivers/mfd/asic3.c:941:23: error: unused variable 'asic'

are real, but I just don't see that. If I build that file, I see that
it builds with -Wno-unused-but-set-variable, due to

Makefile:KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(call cc-disable-warning, unused-but-set-variable)

The override in scripts/Makefile.extrawarn doesn't seem to work even though
it adds "-Wunused-but-set-variable" to the compile flags. And if I remove
"-Wno-unused-but-set-variable" from Makefile I still don't get the error/warning.
Confused. I must be missing something, but what ?

Thanks,
Guenter