PROBLEM: Regression likely in hid_uclogic driver breaks Huion Inspiroy H640 drawing tablet

From: Stefan Hansson
Date: Fri Jul 22 2022 - 22:14:28 EST

Hi!

Somewhere between Linux 5.17.6 and 5.18.11 the Huion tablet I have stopped working properly. In GNOME Control Center it is identified as Huion New 1060 Plus, however that's a different tablet than the one I have. Mine is a Huion Inspiroy H640, and it uses the hid_uclogic driver.

With Linux 5.17.6, the tablet works as expected with all the buttons being detected and the stylus being usable. With 5.18.11, the buttons work fine but the stylus does not work correctly. The first time I approach the tablet with the stylus it works properly, i.e., the cursor on my screen moves around and follows the stylus around the tablet as expected. It continues working like this until I remove the stylus from the tablet. After I remove it from the tablet, the cursor never gets controlled by the stylus again. I can see that the tablet detects the stylus (it has a small indicator light), but the cursor doesn't move when I approach the tablet again. To clarify, with Linux 5.17.6, the cursor moves around just fine when I remove and then put it back to the tablet, just as you would expected.

It may also be worth noting that it worked fine when I previously used it around six months ago, although I'm not sure what version of Linux I was using at that time (whatever Fedora shipped back then). I also tried reproducing it with yesterday's linux-next and Linux 5.19.0-RC7, and the behaviour was the same as 5.18.11. I am currently trying to bisect this, but it's not going very fast as I currently only have access to a dual core laptop from 2014, so building Linux takes a good while.

Regards,
Stefan Hansson