Re: ext4 corruption on alpha with 4.20.0-09062-gd8372ba8ce28

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Fri Aug 26 2022 - 07:05:07 EST

On 8/26/22 12:55, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 25-08-22 11:05:48, matoro wrote:
>> Hello all, I know this is quite an old thread. I recently acquired some
>> alpha hardware and have run into this exact same problem on the latest
>> stable kernel (5.18 and 5.19). CONFIG_COMPACTION seems to be totally broken
>> and causes userspace to be extremely unstable - random segfaults, corruption
>> of glibc data structures, gcc ICEs etc etc - seems most noticable during
>> tasks with heavy I/O load.
>>
>> My hardware is a DS15 (Titan), so only slightly newer than the Tsunamis
>> mentioned earlier. The problem is greatly exacerbated when using a
>> machine-optimized kernel (CONFIG_ALPHA_TITAN) over one with
>> CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC. But it still doesn't go away on a generic kernel,
>> just pops up less often, usually very I/O heavy tasks like checking out a
>> tag in the kernel repo.
>>
>> However all of this seems to be dependent on CONFIG_COMPACTION. With this
>> toggled off all problems disappear, regardless of other options. I tried
>> reverting the commit 88dbcbb3a4847f5e6dfeae952d3105497700c128 mentioned
>> earlier in the thread (the structure has moved to a different file but was
>> otherwise the same), but it unfortunately did not make a difference.
>>
>> Since this doesn't seem to have a known cause or an easy fix, would it be
>> reasonable to just add a Kconfig dep to disable it automatically on alpha?
>
> Thanks for report. I guess this just confirms that migration of pagecache
> pages is somehow broken on Alpha. Maybe we are missing to flush some cache
> specific for Alpha? Or maybe the page migration code is not safe wrt the
> peculiar memory ordering Alpha has... I think this will need someone with
> Alpha HW and willingness to dive into MM internals to debug this. Added
> Vlasta to CC mostly for awareness and in case it rings some bells :).

Hi, doesn't ring any bells unfortunately. Does corruption also happen when
mmapping a file and applying mbind() with MPOL_MF_MOVE or migrate_pages()?
That should allow more controlled migration experimens than through
compaction. But that would also need a NUMA machine or a fakenuma support,
dunno if alpha has that?