Re: [GIT PULL] Driver core changes for 6.0-rc1

From: Olof Johansson
Date: Mon Sep 12 2022 - 13:24:01 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 7:16 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Saravana Kannan (11):
> PM: domains: Delete usage of driver_deferred_probe_check_state()
> pinctrl: devicetree: Delete usage of driver_deferred_probe_check_state()
> net: mdio: Delete usage of driver_deferred_probe_check_state()
> driver core: Add wait_for_init_devices_probe helper function
> net: ipconfig: Relax fw_devlink if we need to mount a network rootfs
> Revert "driver core: Set default deferred_probe_timeout back to 0."
> driver core: Set fw_devlink.strict=1 by default
> iommu/of: Delete usage of driver_deferred_probe_check_state()
> driver core: Delete driver_deferred_probe_check_state()
> driver core: fw_devlink: Allow firmware to mark devices as best effort
> of: base: Avoid console probe delay when fw_devlink.strict=1

The last patch in this list regresses my HoneyComb LX2K (ironically
the machine I do maintainer work on). It stops PCIe from probing, but
without a single message indicating why.

The reason seems to be that the iommu-maps property doesn't get
patched up by my (older) u-boot, and thus isn't a valid reference.
System works fine without IOMMU, which is how I've ran it for a couple
of years.

It's also extremely hard to diagnose out of the box because there are
*no error messages*. And there were no warnings leading up to this
strict enforcement.

This "feature" seems to have been done backwards. The checks should
have been running (and not skipped due to the "optional" flag), but
also not causing errors, just warnings. That would have given users a
chance to know that this is something that needs to be fixed.

And when you flip the switch, at least report what failed so that
people don't need to spend a whole night bisecting kernels, please.

Greg, mind reverting just the last one? If I hit this, I presume
others would too.

-Olof