Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Tue Oct 04 2022 - 06:16:34 EST

On 04.10.22 11:20, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 10:41 AM Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But I consider explaining things like bisection and localmodconfig in
>> the documentation as also important, as that's likely something the tool
>> won't be able to automate any time soon (or never, as realizing that is
>> likely hard and better left to a separate tool anyway).
>
> Creating a simple Linux-specific wrapper around git bisect under
> scripts/ might be useful?
> The wrapper could copy .config to
> $(srctree)/arch/$(ARCH)/config/bisect_defconfig, automatically run
> "make bisect_defconfig" in each step, and show not only the bisected
> commit, but also the impact on .config.

Don't worry, I still remember that trick of yours from this discussion:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/12e09497-a848-b767-88f4-7dabd8360c5e@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Something like that would be a start, but I'd say having localmodconfig
covered would be wise also, as it speeds things up tremendously for
those that start with a full-blown x86 pc distro config.

There are also people that find regressions when updating from say
v5.18.15 to v5.19.4 and want to bisect that range; never tried if that
actually works with a stable git tree, but I'd assume that approach is
unwise. I also assume a lot of people would prefer to download only the
recent history or specific stable branches when cloning the git tree
(which is possible if you know what to do, but I guess most people don't).

Ciao, Thorsten