Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

From: Artem S. Tashkinov
Date: Tue Oct 04 2022 - 08:25:59 EST

On 10/3/22 15:37, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 11:55:25AM +0300, Mike Rapoport wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, bugzilla lets CC people explicitly. How the database
of emails in bugzilla would help choosing the right people to CC better
than MAINTAINERS?

It can't, actually, which is I think is the crux of misunderstanding here. I
think what Artem is proposing is to *auto-create bugzilla accounts* for anyone
who shows up in MAINTAINERS, so that they can be cc'd on a bug report.
However, everyone understood this as "add these people as default assignees,"
which is not the case.

If we auto-create accounts for MAINTAINERS, that would allow them to be cc'd
by an actual human being triaging bugs, but won't lead to any discernable
increase of bugzilla mail.

Artem, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly. Only maintainers and mailing lists will be assigned
automatically as it is _now_. Other developers need to be CC'ed _manually_.

There's no SPAM issue or never has been about what I proposed. Absolute
most people will never CC anyone 'cause bug reporters are normally quite
lazy or not experienced enough to grep git logs.

You're absolutely right.

Best regards,
Artem