Re: New Longterm Kernel before 6.1 Rust?

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 02:06:18 EST

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 01:05:08AM -0400, Slade Watkins wrote:
> On 10/3/22 at 9:35 AM, Carl Dasantas wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if a new longterm kernel will be made prior to 6.1
> > being released with Rust support added? As the kernel.org page
> > https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html states "Longterm kernels
> > are picked based on various factors -- major new features...". In my
> > opinion, adding Rust support is a major new feature. Of course it goes
> > on to say new longterm kernels are dependent on time, etc so I thought
> > I would inquire. No harm in that, right? I'm sure there are a lot of
> > others in our community that are hesitant as I am with Rust and want
> > to see where it goes. It would be nice to have a recent longterm
> > kernel so we can see how this Rust stuff plays out. Possibly from 6.0
> > or 5.19?
>
> Not sure if a decision has been made yet. IMHO, it may be _a bit_ before we
> see this year's longterm release picked.

I try to make the LTS release the "last kernel of the year" unless that
turns out to have major issues (i.e. people use the LTS release as an
excuse to throw a lot of crap into it, which has happened in the past,
and almost happened here again for 6.1).

Rust has nothing at all to do with this decision, sorry. For 6.1 it is
only a "hello world" type thing, not like you would be using Rust for
anything else in the kernel at this point in time.

hope this helps,

greg k-h