Re: Finish removing MPX from arch/x86?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 08:04:21 EST

On 10/4/22 19:34, Dave Hansen wrote:
We zapped the userspace MPX ABIs and most of its supporting code in here:

45fc24e89b7c ("x86/mpx: remove MPX from arch/x86")

But, the XSAVE enabling and KVM code were left in place. This let folks
at least keep running guests with MPX.

It's been a couple of years and I don't think I've had a single person
opine about the loss of MPX. Intel also followed through and there's no
MPX to be found on newer CPUs like my "Tiger Lake" 11th Gen Intel(R)
Core(TM) i7-1165G7.

Is it time to zap MPX from arch/x86/kvm/?

I agree that the likelihood of anybody complaining about MPX is low but Jim is right that the timeline for removing it is unfortunately quite long.

Removing MPX from XFEATURE_MASK_USER_SUPPORTED is possible, though we need to add a new XFEATURE_MASK_GUEST_SUPPORTED that includes MPX. I'll take a look.

Also, it's worth noting that MPX lives in the sigcontext ABI because it uses the non-compacted format. Because of that it is not possible to remove the structs from include/asm/fpu/types.h, for example.

Paolo