Re: [RFC UKL 00/10] Unikernel Linux (UKL)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Oct 06 2022 - 19:16:26 EST

On October 3, 2022 3:21:23 PM PDT, Ali Raza <aliraza@xxxxxx> wrote:
>Unikernel Linux (UKL) is a research project aimed at integrating
>application specific optimizations to the Linux kernel. This RFC aims to
>introduce this research to the community. Any feedback regarding the idea,
>goals, implementation and research is highly appreciated.
>
>Unikernels are specialized operating systems where an application is linked
>directly with the kernel and runs in supervisor mode. This allows the
>developers to implement application specific optimizations to the kernel,
>which can be directly invoked by the application (without going through the
>syscall path). An application can control scheduling and resource
>management and directly access the hardware. Application and the kernel can
>be co-optimized, e.g., through LTO, PGO, etc. All of these optimizations,
>and others, provide applications with huge performance benefits over
>general purpose operating systems.
>
>Linux is the de-facto operating system of today. Applications depend on its
>battle tested code base, large developer community, support for legacy
>code, a huge ecosystem of tools and utilities, and a wide range of
>compatible hardware and device drivers. Linux also allows some degree of
>application specific optimizations through build time config options,
>runtime configuration, and recently through eBPF. But still, there is a
>need for even more fine-grained application specific optimizations, and
>some developers resort to kernel bypass techniques.
>
>Unikernel Linux (UKL) aims to get the best of both worlds by bringing
>application specific optimizations to the Linux ecosystem. This way,
>unmodified applications can keep getting the benefits of Linux while taking
>advantage of the unikernel-style optimizations. Optionally, applications
>can be modified to invoke deeper optimizations.
>
>There are two steps to unikernel-izing Linux, i.e., first, equip Linux with
>a unikernel model, and second, actually use that model to implement
>application specific optimizations. This patch focuses on the first part.
>Through this patch, unmodified applications can be built as Linux
>unikernels, albeit with only modest performance advantages. Like
>unikernels, UKL would allow an application to be statically linked into the
>kernel and executed in supervisor mode. However, UKL preserves most of the
>invariants and design of Linux, including a separate page-able application
>portion of the address space and a pinned kernel portion, the ability to
>run multiple processes, and distinct execution modes for application and
>kernel code. Kernel execution mode and application execution mode are
>different, e.g., the application execution mode allows application threads
>to be scheduled, handle signals, etc., which do not apply to kernel
>threads. Application built as a Linux unikernel will have its text and data
>loaded with the kernel at boot time, while the rest of the address space
> [...]

This is basically taking Linux and turning it into a whole new operating system, while expecting the Linux kernel community to carry the support burden thereof.

We have seen this before, notably with Xen. It is *expensive* and *painful* for the maintenance of the mainstream kernel.

Linux already has a notion of "kernel mode applications", they are called kernel modules and kernel threads. It seems to me that you are trying to introduce a user space compatibility layer into the kernel, with the only benefit being avoiding the syscall overhead. The latter is bigger than we would like, which is why we are changing the x86 hardware architecture to improve it.

In my opinion, this would require *enormous* justification to put it into mainline.