Re: [GIT PULL] Devicetree updates for v6.1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 09 2022 - 16:42:11 EST

On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 11:32 AM Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus, Did you miss this?

No, it's still in my queue.

Right now I'm doing merges (very slowly) on my laptop, while waiting
for new ECC memory DIMMs to arrive.

I have had some instability on my main desktop the last couple of
days, with random memory corruption in user space resulting in my
allmodconfig builds randomly failing with internal compiler errors
etc.

When that happens during the merge window, it's obviously a new kernel
bug causing problems, which is never a great thing.

Except this time it wasn't - it was literally a DIMM going bad in my
machine randomly after 2.5 years of it being perfectly stable. Go
figure. Verified first by booting an old kernel, and then with
memtest86+ overnight.

My new memory is "out for delivery", so hopefully I'll be back up to
full speed by this evening, but I'll probably leave memtest86+ for
another overnight with the new DIMMs just because this wasn't the
greatest experience ever. A fair amount of wasted time blaming all the
wrong things, because _obviously_ it wasn't my hardware suddenly going
bad.

Linus

PS. And yes, my system is all set up for ECC - except I built it
during the early days of COVID when there wasn't any ECC memory
available at any sane prices. And then I never got around to fixing
it, until I had to detect errors the hard wat. I absolutely *detest*
the crazy industry politics and bad vendors that have made ECC memory
so "special".