Re: tools/nolibc: fix missing strlen() definition and infinite loop with gcc-12

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Oct 11 2022 - 02:22:24 EST

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 10:03:53AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

Interesting, that's not the case for me here with 12.2 from kernel.org
on x86_64, which gives this at -O1, -O2, -O3 and -Ofast:

0000000000000000 <strlen>:
0: 48 8d 47 ff lea -0x1(%rdi),%rax
4: 0f 1f 40 00 nopl 0x0(%rax)
8: 48 83 c0 01 add $0x1,%rax
c: 80 38 00 cmpb $0x0,(%rax)
f: 75 f7 jne 8 <strlen+0x8>
11: 48 29 f8 sub %rdi,%rax
14: c3 ret

Out of curiosity what version were you using ?

> I suspect that might run with less clocks/byte than the code above.

Certainly for large strings, but not for short ones.

> Somewhere I hate some complier pessimisations.
> Substituting a call to strlen() is typical.
> strlen() is almost certainly optimised for long strings.
> If the string is short the coded loop will be faster.

Yes, and more importantly, if a developer takes the time to explicitly
write a loop to do something that matches such a function, it's very
likely that they already considered the function and did *not* want to
use it for whatever reason. And the problem we're currently having with
compilers is that they are not willing to respect the developer's intent
because they always know better.

> The same is true (and probably more so) for memcpy.

Yes, I think that we'll eventually have to stuff a few asm() here and
there in a few such loops as compilers become less and less trustable.

Willy