Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/19] perf stat: Cleanup counter aggregation (v1)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Oct 11 2022 - 07:57:24 EST

My main concern would be subtle regressions since there are so many
different combinations and way to travel through the code, and a lot of
things are not covered by unit tests. When I worked on the code it was
difficult to keep it all working. I assume you have some way to
enumerate them all and tested that the output is identical?
Right, that's my concern too.

I have tested many combinations manually and checked if they
produced similar results.

I had a script to test many combinations, but had to check the output manually

But the problem is that I cannot test
all hardwares and more importantly it's hard to check
programmatically if the output is the same or not.

Can use "dummy" or some software event (e.g. a probe on some syscall) to get stable numbers. I don't think we need to cover all hardware for the output options, the different events should be similar, but need some coverage for the different aggregation. Or we could add some more tool events just for testing purposes, that would allow covering different core scopes etc. and would easily allow generating known counts.

-Andi