Re: [rft, PATCH v1 4/4] kernel.h: Split out ARRAY_SZIE()

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Sat Oct 29 2022 - 06:05:54 EST

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:20:10AM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 09:14:29PM +0300, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:

> > > Are you suggesting to slow down compilation with inclusion of tons of unneeded
> > > stuff in the zillions of drivers?
> > >
> > > Or you are talking that we need to abandon most of the headers and combine
> > > everything into kernel.h? I think this is what is silly.
> >
> > It hard to escape kernel.h so you will be including it anyway.
>
> It's very important to not include it in the headers.
>
> And this split helps to it a lot. We have container_of() or array_size() used
> in macros and/or inliners that are usually appears in the headers. And if you
> know what dependency hell means, the kernel.h brings to it a huge mess.
>
> So, try to be constructive, okay?
>
> > Unless you delete, say, kstrtox.h from kernel.h, it is pointless busywork.

I'm very constructive.

Parsing 1 define is faster than opening/reading/closing a file to parse
1 define (it's 2 defines because of header guard).

Therefore extracting 1 macro into separate file without obvious future
growth is a pessimisation.

And if you delete #include <array_size.h> from kernel.h and fix all
compile failures (which you aren't doing apparently) backporters will
hate you for life.

I've tried to delete kstrtox.h, and even allnoconfig had dozens of
failures.