Re: [BUG] AMDKFD: criu_checkpoint() error path treats userspace pointer as kernel pointer

From: Felix Kuehling
Date: Mon Oct 31 2022 - 13:54:07 EST

Am 2022-10-31 um 10:20 schrieb Jann Horn:
be072b06c73970 ("drm/amdkfd: CRIU export BOs as prime dmabuf objects")
added an error path in criu_checkpoint() that (unless I'm completely
misreading this) treats the userspace-supplied args->bos (which was
previously used as a userspace pointer when passed to
criu_checkpoint_bos()) as a kernel pointer:

ret = criu_checkpoint_bos(p, num_bos, (uint8_t __user *)args->bos,
(uint8_t __user *)args->priv_data, &priv_offset);
if (ret)
goto exit_unlock;
[...]
close_bo_fds:
if (ret) {
/* If IOCTL returns err, user assumes all FDs opened in
criu_dump_bos are closed */
uint32_t i;
struct kfd_criu_bo_bucket *bo_buckets = (struct kfd_criu_bo_bucket
*) args->bos;

for (i = 0; i < num_bos; i++) {
if (bo_buckets[i].alloc_flags & KFD_IOC_ALLOC_MEM_FLAGS_VRAM)
close_fd(bo_buckets[i].dmabuf_fd);
}
}

This seems very wrong, and also like it's guaranteed to blow up as
soon as it runs on a machine with SMAP, which makes me think that this
codepath was probably never exercised?

(Also note that just changing this to copy_from_user() instead would
still be wrong, because malicious/bogus userspace could change the FD
number to the KFD device's FD, and the VFS assumes that an FD can't be
closed while it's being accessed in a single-threaded process.)

Thank you for catching this, and thank you for the advice. In other words, we need to store a copy of the FDs in a kernel mode buffer that is not accessibly by usermode, so we can reliably close the correct FDs in the error handling code path. Rajneesh and I will fix this ASAP.

Do you think we should also avoid copying the FDs to usermode before we're sure that we'll return success? I don't think it would make a big difference because user mode could try to guess the FDs and use them before we return from the ioctl either way.

Regards,
  Felix