Re: Deprecating and removing SLOB

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Mon Nov 14 2022 - 04:36:42 EST

On 11/14/22 06:48, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 11/14/22 10:55, Damien Le Moal wrote:

>>> I suppose there's not really a concern with the virt defconfig, but I
>>> did check the output of `make nommu_k210_defconfig" and despite not
>>> having expert it seems to end up CONFIG_SLOB=y in the generated .config.
>>>
>>> I do have a board with a k210 so I checked with s/SLOB/SLUB and it still
>>> boots etc, but I have no workloads or w/e to run on it.
>>
>> I sent a patch to change the k210 defconfig to using SLUB. However...

Thanks!

>> The current default config using SLOB gives about 630 free memory pages
>> after boot (cat /proc/vmstat). Switching to SLUB, this is down to about
>> 400 free memory pages (CONFIG_SLUB_CPU_PARTIAL is off).

Thanks for the testing! How much RAM does the system have btw? I found 8MB
somewhere, is that correct?
So 230 pages that's a ~920 kB difference. Last time we saw less dramatic
difference [1]. But that was looking at Slab pages, not free pages. The
extra overhead could be also in percpu allocations, code etc.

>> This is with a buildroot kernel 5.19 build including a shell and sd-card
>> boot. With SLUB, I get clean boots and a shell prompt as expected. But I
>> definitely see more errors with shell commands failing due to allocation
>> failures for the shell process fork. So as far as the K210 is concerned,
>> switching to SLUB is not ideal.
>>
>> I would not want to hold on kernel mm improvements because of this toy
>> k210 though, so I am not going to prevent SLOB deprecation. I just wish
>> SLUB itself used less memory :)
>
> Did further tests with kernel 6.0.1:
> * SLOB: 630 free pages after boot, shell working (occasional shell fork
> failure happen though)
> * SLAB: getting memory allocation for order 7 failures on boot already
> (init process). Shell barely working (high frequency of shell command fork
> failures)
> * SLUB: getting memory allocation for order 7 failures on boot. I do get a
> shell prompt but cannot run any shell command that involves forking a new
> process.
>
> So if we want to keep the k210 support functional with a shell, we need
> slob. If we reduce that board support to only one application started as
> the init process, then I guess anything is OK.

In [1] it was possible to save some more memory with more tuning. Some of
that required boot parameters and other code changes. In another reply [2] I
considered adding something like SLUB_TINY to take care of all that, so
looks like it would make sense to proceed with that.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/Yg9xSWEaTZLA+hYt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-northeast-1.compute.internal/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/eebc9dc8-6a45-c099-61da-230d06cb3157@xxxxxxx/