Re: [oss-security] [patch] proc.5: tell how to parse /proc/*/stat correctly

From: Jakub Wilk
Date: Fri Dec 30 2022 - 15:33:32 EST

* Tavis Ormandy <taviso@xxxxxxxxx>, 2022-12-28 01:50:
But, really, I just don't see how this can practically be said to be parsable...

In its current form it never will be. The solution is to place this variable-length field last. Then you can "cut -d ' ' -f 51-" to get the command+args part (assuming I counted all those fields correctly ...)

Of course, this breaks backwards compatability.

I think that cut command doesn't handle newlines,

Indeed.

There already is 'ps -q $$ -o >comm='

FWIW, "ps ... -o comm=" doesn't just print the raw comm value: it replaces non-printable chars with punctuation characters, and it may append " <defunct>" if the process is a zombie.

The easiest way to get unmangled comm is to read it from /proc/$PID/comm, then strip the trailing newline.

(But I suspect most /proc/*/stat parsers don't care about the comm field at all; they just want to skip over it to get their hands on the following fields.)

--
Jakub Wilk