Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Jan 20 2023 - 18:19:57 EST

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 11:36:15PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> On 1/20/2023 10:37 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, are you [set] up to run LKMM locally at your end?
>
> I don't know what exactly that means. I generally run it on wetware.
> But I sometimes ask Hernan to run Dat3M (on his machine) over all the litmus
> tests in your repo to spot any obvious problems with variations I consider.
> I don't think Dat3M is feature-complete with herd at the moment, just
> unbelievably faster. For example I think it ignores all flags in the cat
> files.
> Oh, I just remembered that I also installed herd7 recently to make sure that
> any patches I might send in satisfy herd7 syntax requirements (I think you
> called this diagnostic driven development?), but I haven't used it to really
> run anything.
>
> Is it too obvious that my words usually aren't backed by cold machine logic?

Well, there was this in one of your messages from earlier today: "I'm not
going to get it right today, am I?" And I freely confess that this led
me to suspect that you might not have been availing yourself of herd7's
opinion before posting. ;-)

If you clone the Linux kernel source on a Linux system, the information
here should help you get started. And we are of course here to help.

Your choice, just pointing out the option!

Thanx, Paul