Re: System boot failure related to commit 'irqdomain: Switch to per-domain locking'

From: Bingbu Cao
Date: Wed Mar 01 2023 - 06:17:22 EST

On 2/28/23 8:45 AM, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2023-02-27 10:46, Bingbu Cao wrote:
>> Hi, Johan and Zyngier,
>>
>> I am using a Dell XPS laptop(Intel Processor) just update my
>> Linux kernel to latest tag 6.2.0, and then I see that the kernel
>> cannot boot successfully, it reported:
>> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
>> - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
>> - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
>> - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
>>
>> ALERT! UUID=xxxxxxx does not exist. Dropping to shell!
>>
>> And then it drop into initramfs shell, I try to use 'blkid' to
>> get block devices information, but it showed nothing.
>>
>> I also tried add 'rootdelay' and 'rootwait' in bootargs, but it did
>> not work.
>>
>> I am sure that my previous kernel 6.2.0-rc4 work normally, so I
>> did some bisect and found the commit below cause the failure on
>> my system:
>>
>> 9dbb8e3452ab irqdomain: Switch to per-domain locking
>>
>> I really have no idea why it cause my problem, but I see just
>> reverting this commit really help me.
>>
>> Do you have any idea?
>
> Please provide us with a kernel boot log. It is very hard
> to figure out what is going on without it. It would also
> help if you indicated what sort of device is your root
> filesystem on (NVMe, SATA, USB...), as it would narrow the
> search for the culprit.

Unfortunately, I have not find a way to capture the console log, no
serial for me. I am using a NVMe for my rootfs. By checking the
screen log, I see that 1 kernel message is missing:

[ 4.193375] EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p3): mounted filesystem a9e1243b-332f-46ce-a5e7-cea86b44f797 with ordered data mode. Quota mode: none.

--
Best regards,
Bingbu Cao