Re: Implementation of fwnode_operations :: device_get_match_data() for software nodes?

From: Vladimir Oltean
Date: Wed Mar 01 2023 - 12:43:22 EST

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 07:33:29PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> Yes, that's why I remember overlays approach and FPGA case.
>
> I guess you have very similar requirements to get this done: your case is a
> particular one for FPGA, i.e. (re-)loading the same HW layout over and over.
>
> I believe it should be discussed with them being involved. We don't want to
> have two approaches of similar things in the kernel.

I don't think comparisons with the denatured case are helpful.
Is "ax + b = 0" a quadratic equation? Well, yes, if you consider it to
be a particular case where the coefficient of x^2 is 0. Do you use
quadratic equation techniques to solve it? No.

I agree we don't want to have multiple approaches of doing the same thing,
but I debate whether I am really doing the same thing?

If software nodes are not designed to be a good fit for my kind of use
case, then what are they designed for?