Re: [git pull] vfs.git sysv pile

From: Fabio M. De Francesco
Date: Thu Mar 02 2023 - 06:31:59 EST

On giovedì 2 marzo 2023 10:59:31 CET Jan Kara wrote:
> On Wed 01-03-23 14:14:16, Al Viro wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what exactly Al doesn't like about how ext2 handles pages
and
> > > mapping but if you have some cleanups in mind, sure go ahead. I don't
have
> > > any plans on working on that code in the near term.
> >
> > I think I've pushed a demo patchset to vfs.git at some point back in
> > January... Yep - see #work.ext2 in there; completely untested, though.
>
> OK, I think your changes to ext2_rename() in PATCH 1 leak a reference and
> mapping of old_page but otherwise I like the patches. So Fabio, if you can
> pick them up and push this to completion, it would be nice. Thanks!

@Jan,

I was sure you would have liked them :-)
I'm happy to pick them up and push them to completion.

But... when yesterday Al showed his demo patchset I probably interpreted his
reply the wrong way and thought that since he spent time for the demo he
wanted to put this to completion on his own.

Now I see that you are interpreting his message as an invite to use them to
shorten the time...

Furthermore I'm not sure about how I should credit him. Should I merely add a
"Suggested-by:" tag or more consistent "Co-authored-by: Al Viro <...>"? Since
he did so much I'd rather the second but I need his permission.

@Al,

Can I really proceed with *your* work? What should the better suited tag be to
credit you for the patches?

If you can reply today or at least by Friday, I'll pick your demo patchset,
put it to completion, make the patches and test them with (x)fstests on a
QEMU/KVM x86_32 bit VM, with 6GB RAM, running an HIGHMEM64GB enabled kernel.

Thanks,

Fabio