Re: [Regression] mmap with MAP_32BIT randomly fails since 6.1

From: Linux regression tracking #adding (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2023 - 03:31:53 EST

[TLDR: I'm adding this report to the list of tracked Linux kernel
regressions; the text you find below is based on a few templates
paragraphs you might have encountered already in similar form.
See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 02.03.23 16:32, Snild Dolkow wrote:
> After upgrading a machine from 5.17.4 to 6.1.12 a couple of weeks ago, I
> started getting (inconsistent) failures when building Android:
> [...]
> I have checked a more recent master commit (ee3f96b1, from March 1st),
> and the problem is still there. Bisecting shows that e15e06a8 is the
> last good commit, and that 524e00b3 is the first one failing in this
> way. The 10 or so commits in between run into a page fault BUG down in
> vma_merge() instead.
>
> This range of commits is about the same as mentioned in
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/0b9f5425-08d4-8013-aa4c-e620c3b10bb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/, so I assume that my problem, too, was introduced with the Maple Tree changes. Sending this to the same people and lists.

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced e15e06a8..524e00b3
#regzbot title mm: mmap with MAP_32BIT randomly fails since 6.1
#regzbot ignore-activity

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply and tell me -- ideally
while also telling regzbot about it, as explained by the page listed in
the footer of this mail.

Developers: When fixing the issue, remember to add 'Link:' tags pointing
to the report (the parent of this mail). See page linked in footer for
details.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.