Re: [Regression] rt2800usb - Wifi performance issues and connection drops

From: Alexander Wetzel
Date: Wed Mar 08 2023 - 07:10:22 EST

@Thomas:
I've also uploaded you my binary kernel I'm running at the moment
here: https://www.awhome.eu/s/5FjqMS73rtCtSBM

That kernel should also be able to boot and operate your system.
Can you try that and tell me, if that makes any difference?

> i can't boot the binary kernel here, as the initramfs is included
> in my kernel, if you send me a patch, i can apply it and test it.

That was an unpatched kernel. Idea was to verify that it's not a
compiler issue. (You seem to be using a hardened Gentoo profile.)

Can you share your initrd, so I can include it? (Mail it to me
directly, upload it to bug in buguilla or send a link to some cloud
storage.)

I can't share this config, as it's a production system, and i'm not
allowed to run abitrary binary code on the system. As 6.1.x works
without a problem, i don't think it's a compiler problem. I will try to
get a none hardened compiler and recompile the kernel.

I was suspecting something like that. I may try the same in reverse. But it's so far quite some way down on the list. There are more promising ways to spend the debug time I have for so far.

But one remark:
As far as TX is concerned 6.1 and 6.2 kernels are handling TX in drastically different ways for many - including yours - cards.

The patch you identified as culprit is well after the move to the new TX mode of operation and only fixes a comparable minor issue.

Your setup seems to require both, the move to iTXQ AND this minor fix.

I'm also planning to provide some more debug patches, to figuring
out which part of commit 4444bc2116ae ("wifi: mac80211: Proper
mark iTXQs for resumption") fixes the issue for you. Assuming my
understanding above is correct the patch should not really
fix/break anything for you...With the findings above I would have
expected your git bisec to identify commit a790cc3a4fad ("wifi:
mac80211: add wake_tx_queue callback to drivers") as the first
broken commit...

Alexander