Re: RISC-V reserved memory problems

From: Conor Dooley
Date: Thu Mar 09 2023 - 04:15:49 EST

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 01:35:11PM +0200, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> Hi Conor,
>
> Sorry for the delay, somehow this slipped between the cracks.

No worries.

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 10:01:26PM +0000, Conor Dooley wrote:
> > Hullo Palmer, Mike & whoever else may read this,
> >
> > Just reviving this thread from a little while ago as I have been in the
> > area again recently...
>
> TBH, I didn't really dig deep into the issues,

I only preserved most of the context here to point out that it wasn't an
isolated issue, the top-down/bottom-up bit is the main part that I was
interested in. The others are fixed, or workaround-able without
"harming" anyone else.

> but the thought I had was
> what if DT was mapped via fixmap until the setup_vm_final() and then it
> would be possible to call DT methods early.

From my memory, this would be more along the lines of what arm64 does.
I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I figure it'll take me some
time!

> Could be I'm shooting in the dark :)

A pointer on where to start is helpful, even if it is "rewrite a bunch
of stuff".

Cheers,
Conor.