Re: RISC-V reserved memory problems

From: Alexandre Ghiti
Date: Thu Mar 09 2023 - 07:45:24 EST

On 3/7/23 12:35, Mike Rapoport wrote:
Hi Conor,

Sorry for the delay, somehow this slipped between the cracks.

On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 10:01:26PM +0000, Conor Dooley wrote:
Hullo Palmer, Mike & whoever else may read this,

Just reviving this thread from a little while ago as I have been in the
area again recently...
TBH, I didn't really dig deep into the issues, but the thought I had was
what if DT was mapped via fixmap until the setup_vm_final() and then it
would be possible to call DT methods early.

Could be I'm shooting in the dark :)

I think I understand the issue now, it's because In riscv, we establish 2 different virtual mappings and we map the device tree at 2 different virtual addresses, which is the problem.

So to me, the solution is:

- to revert your previous fix, that is calling early_init_fdt_scan_reserved_mem() before any call to memblock_alloc() (which could result in an allocation in the area you want to reserve)

- to map the device tree at the same virtual address, because early_init_fdt_scan_reserved_mem() initializes reserved_mem with the dtb mapping established in setup_vm() and uses reserved_mem with the new mapping from setup_vm_final (which is what Mike proposes, we should use the fixmap region to have the same virtual addresses)

Hope that makes sense: I'll come up with something this afternoon for you to test!

Sorry for the first completely wrong email,

Thanks,

Alex