Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Eric Biggers
Date: Fri Mar 10 2023 - 18:07:14 EST

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 07:41:31PM -0800, Eric Biggers wrote:

> Well, probably more common is that prerequisites are in the same patchset, and
> the prerequisites are tagged for stable too. Whereas AUTOSEL often just picks
> patch X of N. Also, developers and maintainers who tag patches for stable are
> probably more likely to help with the stable process in general and make sure
> patches are backported correctly...
>
> Anyway, the point is, AUTOSEL needs to be fixed to stop inappropriately
> cherry-picking patch X of N so often.

... and AUTOSEL strikes again, with the 6.1 and 6.2 kernels currently crashing
whenever a block device is removed, due to patches 1 and 3 of a 3-patch series
being AUTOSEL'ed (on the same day I started this discussion, no less):

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/CAOCAAm4reGhz400DSVrh0BetYD3Ljr2CZen7_3D4gXYYdB4SKQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#u

Oh sorry, ignore this, it's just an anecdotal example.

- Eric