Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sat Mar 11 2023 - 01:26:11 EST

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 09:45:24PM +0000, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 10:18:35PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I believe that -stable would be more useful without AUTOSEL process.
>
> There has to be a way to ensure that security fixes that weren't properly tagged
> make it to stable anyway. So, AUTOSEL is necessary, at least in some form. I
> think that debating *whether it should exist* is a distraction from what's
> actually important, which is that the current AUTOSEL process has some specific
> problems, and these specific problems need to be fixed...

I agree with you, that we need autosel and we also need autosel to
be better. I actually see Pavel's mail as a datapoint (or "anecdote",
if you will) in support of that; the autosel process currently works
so badly that a long-time contributor thinks it's worse than nothing.

Sasha, what do you need to help you make this better?