Re: Linux 6.3-rc2

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Mar 13 2023 - 18:51:02 EST

On 3/13/23 15:16, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It gets weird. Bisect log below. Reverting the identified patch does
indeed seem to fix the problem, only I have no clue why this might
be the case. The patch looks completely innocent to me. Yet, I can
reliably reproduce the problem with v6.3-rc2, but at least so far I
have not been able to reproduce it with commit f3dd0c53370 reverted
(and I am trying on five different servers in parallel).

Yeah, that commit looks very innocuous. I'm surprised it would even
change any code generation, but it's very possible that it ends up
affecting some code layout or something almost by mistake.

I'd be inclined to think that the problem is very timing-sensitive,
and has probably been there for a while, and some random moon phase
just made it happen now.

Maybe, but it seems unlikely. I can reliably reproduce the problem
with v6.3-rc2. Typically it takes some 20-30 boot attempts to see it. With
f3dd0c53370 reverted I tried more than 1,000 boot attempts and did not see
the problem. I also don't recall ever having seen it before.

Anyway, I'll probably just disable CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC for my
arm boot tests to avoid the message. I don't want it to create noise
and hide other problems.

Thanks,
Guenter