Re: WARN_ON in move_normal_pmd

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Sat Mar 25 2023 - 12:33:41 EST

Hi Linus,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 6:43 AM Joel Fernandes <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better to instead fix it from the caller side? Like
> > making it non-overlapping.
>
> I wonder if we could just do something like this in mremap() instead
>
> - if old/new are mutually PMD_ALIGNED
>
> - *and* there is no vma below new within the same PMD
>
> - then just expand the mremap to be PMD-aligned downwards
>
> IOW, the problem with the exec stack moving case isn't really that
> it's overlapping: that part is fine. We're moving downwards, and we
> start from the bottom, so the moving part works fine.
>
> No, the problem is that we *start* by moving individual pages, and
> then by the time we've a few pages down by a whole PMD, we finish the
> source PMD (and we've cleared all the contents of it), but it still
> exists.
>
> And at *that* point, when we go and start copying the next page, we're
> suddenly fully PMD-aligned, and now we try to copy a whole PMD, and
> then that code is unhappy about the fact that the old (empty) PMD is
> there in the target.

You are very right. I am able to also trigger the warning with a synthetic
program that just mremaps a range and moves it in the same way that triggers
this issue, however I had to hack the kernel to prevent mremap from erroring
out if ranges overlap (unlike exec, mremap does some initial checks for
that). Also had to do other hacks but I did reproduce it consistently.

The issue is that even though the PMD is empty, it is allocated. So
pmd_none() is kind of a lie in some sense, it is pointing to empty PTEs when
the range is really empty.

How about we replace the warning with something like the following?

+ if (unlikely(!pmd_none(*new_pmd))) {
+ // Check if any ptes in the pmd are non-empty. Doing this here
+ // is ok since this is not a fast path.
+ bool pmd_empty = true;
+ unsigned long tmp_addr = new_addr;
+ pte_t* check_pte = pte_offset_map(new_pmd, new_addr);
+
+ new_ptl = pte_lockptr(mm, new_pmd);
+ spin_lock_nested(new_ptl, SINGLE_DEPTH_NESTING);
+ for (; tmp_addr < old_addr + PMD_SIZE; check_pte++, tmp_addr += PAGE_SIZE) {
+ if (!pte_none(*check_pte)) {
+ pmd_empty = false;
+ break;
+ }
+ }

+ WARN_ON_ONCE(!pmd_empty);
+ spin_unlock(new_ptl);
+ }
+

> And for all of this to happen, we need to move things by an exact
> multiple of PMD size, because otherwise we'd never get to that aligned
> situation at all, and we'd always do all the movement in individual
> pages, and everything would be just fine.
>
> And more importantly, if we had just *started* with moving a whole
> PMD, this also wouldn't have happened. But we didn't. We started
> moving individual pages.
>
> So you could see the warning not as a "this range overlaps" warning
> (it's fine, and happens all the time, and we do individual pages that
> way quite happily), but really as a "hey, this was very inefficient -
> you shouldn't have done those individual pages as several small
> independent invidual pages in the first place" warning.

Exactly.

> So some kind of
>
> /* Is the movement mutually PMD-aligned? */
> if ((old_addr ^ new_addr) & ~PMD_MASK == 0) {
> .. try to extend the move_vma() down to the *aligned*
> PMD case ..
> }

I actually didn't follow what you meant by "mutually PMD-aligned". Could you
provide some example address numbers to explain?

AFAIK, only 2MB aligned memory addresses can be directly addressed by a PMD.
Otherwise how will you index the bytes in the 2MB page? You need bits in the
address for that.

> logic in move_page_tables() would get rid of the warning, and would
> make the move more efficient since you'd skip the "move individual
> pages and allocate a new PMD" case entirely.
>
> This is all fairly com,plicated, and the "try to extend the move
> range" would also have to depend on CONFIG_HAVE_MOVE_PMD etc, so I'm
> not saying it's trivial.
>
> But it would seem to be a really nice optimization, in addition to
> getting rid of the warning.
>
> It could even help real world cases outside of this odd stack
> remapping case if users ever end up moving vma's by multiples of
> PMD_SIZE, and there aren't other vma's around the source/target that
> disable the optimization.
>
> Hmm? Anybody want to look into that? It looks hairy enough that I
> think that "you could test this with mutually aligned mremap()
> source/targets in some test program" would be a good thing. Because
> the pure execve() case is rare enough that using *that* as a test-case
> seems like a fool's errand.

Just to mention, mremap errors out if you try to move overlapping ranges
because this in mremap_to():

/* Ensure the old/new locations do not overlap
if (addr + old_len > new_addr && new_addr + new_len > addr) {
pr_err("%s: (%s) (%d)", __func__, __FILE__, __LINE__);
goto out;
}

Or is there an mremap trick I might be missing which actually allows
overlapping range moves?

thanks,

- Joel