[Question] Restore previous "local tag" behaviour

From: Tor Vic
Date: Mon Mar 27 2023 - 13:44:25 EST

Hi,

When I'm building my kernels, I used to tag my personal releases with a similar annotated tag commit as with vanilla kernel, just appending "-tv" or similar to it, i.e. "v6.3-rc4" becomes "v6.3-rc4-tv".

This has worked just fine so far, but...

Since commit 6ab7e1f95e96f0c688ae132b0e9a16c0f206689d ("setlocalversion: use only the correct release tag for git-describe"), this is not taken into account anymore, it uses the "git describe" tag instead of using the actually tagged commit as "kernelrelease".

Is there a way to restore the previous behaviour without having to revert this (and preceding) commits?

I know that we can disable CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y and append directly to CONFIG_LOCALVERSION, but maybe someone knows how to use the "old" way of using tags...?

In other words, when I have a local tag, I want "kernelrelease" to use just that tag, and when I don't tag anything, it should just use the standard "git describe" tag.

For the moment I have just reverted the related commits as they don't serve any purpose for my needs.

Cheers,

Tor Vic