Re: 9p caching with cache=loose and cache=fscache

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Wed Mar 29 2023 - 07:32:32 EST

On Wed, 2023-03-29 at 13:19 +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:

> > > My experience is that cache=loose is totally useless.
> >
> > If the fs you mount isn't accessed by the host while the VM is up, and
> > isn't shared with another guest (e.g. "exclusive share"), you'll get
> > what you expect.
> >
> > I have no idea what people use qemu's virtfs for but this is apparently
> > common enough that it was recommended before without anyone complaining
> > since that started being recommended in 2011[1] until now?
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.qemu.org/index.php?title=Documentation/9psetup&diff=2178&oldid=2177
> >
> > (now I'm not arguing it should be recommended, my stance as a 9p
> > maintainer is that the default should be used unless you know what
> > you're doing, so the new code should just remove the 'cache=none'
> > altogether as that's the default.
> > With the new cache models Eric is preparing comes, we'll get a new safe
> > default that will likely be better than cache=none, there is no reason
> > to explicitly recommend the historic safe model as the default has
> > always been on the safe side and we have no plan of changing that.)
>
> It's not that I receive a lot of feedback for what people use 9p for, nor am I
> QEMU's 9p maintainer for a long time, but so far contributors cared more about
> performance and other issues than propagating changes host -> guest without
> reboot/remount/drop_caches. At least they did not care enough to work on
> patches.
>
> Personally I also use cache=loose and only need to push changes host->guest
> once in a while.

> > > I think that makes it pretty useless, aren't most setups on the guest read-only?
> > >
> > > It is not about "may not see", just won't. For example I modified the
> > > Makefile and compiled a full kernel and even with those series of
> > > changes, the guest *minutes later* never saw any updates.
> >
> > read-only on the guest has nothing to do with it, nor has time.
> >
> > If the directory is never accessed on the guest before the kernel has
> > been built, you'll be able to make install on the guest -- once, even if
> > the build was done after the VM booted and fs mounted.
> >
> > After it's been read once, it'll stay in cache until memory pressure (or
> > an admin action like umount/mount or sysctl vm.drop_caches=3) clears it.
> >
> > I believe that's why it appeared to work until you noticed the issue and
> > had to change the mount option -- I'd expect in most case you'll run
> > make install once and reboot/kexec into the new kernel.
> >
> > It's not safe for your usecase and cache=none definitely sounds better
> > to me, but people should use defaults make their own informed decision.
>
> It appears to me that read-only seems not to be the average use case for 9p,
> at least from the command lines I received. It is often used in combination
> with overlayfs though.
>
> I (think) the reason why cache=loose was recommended as default option on the
> QEMU wiki page ages ago, was because of its really poor performance at that
> [...]

Catching up on this thread.

Getting cache coherency right on a network filesystem is quite
difficult. It's always a balance between correctness and performance.

Some protocols (e.g. CIFS and Ceph) take a very heavy-handed approach to
try ensure that the caches are always coherent. Basically, these clients
are only allowed to cache when the server grants permission for it. That
can have a negative effect on performance, of course.

NFS as a protocol is more "loose", but we've generally beat its cache
coherency mechanisms into shape over the years, so you don't see these
sorts of problems there as much. FWIW, NFS uses a sliding time window to
revalidate the cache, such that it'll revalidate frequently when an
inodes is changing frequently, but less so when it's more stable.

9P I haven't worked with as much, but it sounds like it doesn't try to
keep caches coherent (at least not with cache=loose).

Probably the simplest solution here is to simply unmount/mount before
you have the clients call "make modules_install && make install". That
should ensure that the client doesn't have any stale data in the cache
when the time comes to do the reads. A full reboot shouldn't be
required.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>