Re: [Intel-wired-lan] [REGRESSION] e1000e probe/link detection fails since 6.2 kernel

From: Neftin, Sasha
Date: Sun Apr 02 2023 - 03:40:57 EST

On 3/30/2023 13:35, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:30:17 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 21:12:32 +0200,
Jakub Kicinski wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 10:48:36 +0200 Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 10:40:44 +0200,
Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 04:39:01PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
Does openSUSE Tumbleweed make it easy to bisect the regression at least on
“rc level”? It be great if narrow it more down, so we know it for example
regressed in 6.2-rc7.

Alternatively, can you do bisection using kernel sources from Linus's
tree (git required)?

That'll be a last resort, if no one has idea at all :)

I had a quick look yesterday, there's only ~6 or so commits to e1000e.
Should be a fairly quick bisection, hopefully?

*IFF* it's an e1000e-specific bug, right?

Through a quick glance, the only significant change in e1000e is the
commit 1060707e3809
ptp: introduce helpers to adjust by scaled parts per million

Others are only for MTP/ADP and new devices, which must be irrelevant.
The tracing must be irrelevant, and the kmap change must be OK.

Can 1060707e3809 be the cause of such a bug?

The bug reporter updated the entry and informed that this can be
false-positive; the problem could be triggered with the older kernel
out of sudden. So he closed the bug as WORKSFORME.

#regzbot invalid: Problems likely not in kernel changes
I do not think the problem is with the kernel/SW/driver code. "Failed to disable ULP" (ultra-low power disabling)line in a dmesg log can indicate that the PHY of the LAN controller is inaccessible. Probably your laptop has an _LM SKU (CSME/AMT)of LAN controller (with manageability).
Unfortunately, we haven't had the reliable opportunity to interact with the CSME/AMT. Moreover, access to the PHY when CSME/AMT controls it could put the LAN controller in an unknown state.
This model of the laptop is no longer supported thought. Worth checking the option to disable CSME/AMT via BIOS.

So, somehow it worked previously. _V SKU should not hit on such a problem.

thanks,

Takashi