Re: [Regression] drm/scheduler: track GPU active time per entity

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Thu Apr 06 2023 - 04:27:21 EST

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 10:22, Christian König <christian.koenig@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 05.04.23 um 18:09 schrieb Luben Tuikov:

> >> I think the only real motivation for doing that would be for generically
> >> tracking job statistics within the entity a job was deployed through. If
> >> we all agree on tracking job statistics this way I am happy to prepare a
> >> patch for this option and drop this one:
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230331000622.4156-1-dakr@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#u
> > Hmm, I never thought about "job statistics" when I preferred using kref above.
> > The reason kref is attractive is because one doesn't need to worry about
> > it--when the last user drops the kref, the release is called to do
> > housekeeping. If this never happens, we know that we have a bug to debug.
>
> Yeah, reference counting unfortunately have some traps as well. For
> example rarely dropping the last reference from interrupt context or
> with some unexpected locks help when the cleanup function doesn't expect
> that is a good recipe for problems as well.
>
> > Regarding the patch above--I did look around the code, and it seems safe,
> > as per your analysis, I didn't see any reference to entity after job submission,
> > but I'll comment on that thread as well for the record.
>
> Reference counting the entities was suggested before. The intentionally
> avoided that so far because the entity might be the tip of the iceberg
> of stuff you need to keep around.
>
> For example for command submission you also need the VM and when you
> keep the VM alive you also need to keep the file private alive....

Yeah refcounting looks often like the easy way out to avoid
use-after-free issue, until you realize you've just made lifetimes
unbounded and have some enourmous leaks: entity keeps vm alive, vm
keeps all the bo alives, somehow every crash wastes more memory
because vk_device_lost means userspace allocates new stuff for
everything.

If possible a lifetime design where lifetimes have hard bounds and you
just borrow a reference under a lock (or some other ownership rule) is
generally much more solid. But also much harder to design correctly
:-/

> Additional to that we have some ugly inter dependencies between tearing
> down an application (potential with a KILL signal from the OOM killer)
> and backward compatibility for some applications which render something
> and quit before the rendering is completed in the hardware.

Yeah I think that part would also be good to sort out once&for all in
drm/sched, because i915 has/had the same struggle.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation