Re: [gpio kself-test & bisect] gpio-mockup.sh kslef-test failed in v6.3-rc5

From: Pengfei Xu
Date: Thu Apr 06 2023 - 21:27:31 EST

Hi Andy,

On 2023-04-06 at 13:26:36 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> [...]
> > test failed: unexpected chip - gpiochip1
> > GPIO gpio-mockup test FAIL
> >
> > And the simplified steps to reproduce this issue are as follow:
> > "
> > # Load gpio_mockup with overflow ranges -1,1024:
> > modprobe -q gpio_mockup gpio_mockup_ranges="-1,1024"
> >
> > # Check is there some Call Trace generated in dmesg
> > dmesg | grep -C 5 Call
> >
> > # Should not generate any gpiochip folder like /sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/gpiochip1
> > # Because load gpio_mockup with overflow ranges -1,1024
> > find "/sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/" -name gpiochip* -type d | sort
> >
> > # Unload the gpio_mockup module
> > modprobe -r gpio_mockup
> > # Check is there "Call Trace" generated in dmesg
> > dmesg | grep -C 5 Call
> > "
> >
> > Actually the judgement "gpio-mockup.sh" test/bisect judgement point is that:
> > Should not generate any gpiochip folder like
> > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/gpiochip1 after load gpio_mockup with overflow
> > ranges -1,1024.
> >
> > I met gpio-mockup.sh test failed but there is no any "Call Trace" dmesg info
> > sometimes.
> >
> > So the shortest check steps are as follow:
> > "
> > 1. modprobe -q gpio_mockup gpio_mockup_ranges="-1,1024"
> > After above gpio_mockup module loaded with overflow range "-1,1024":
> > Correct behavior as previous v6.1 or older kernel:"gpio should not load "gpiochip1" due to overflow range -1,1024";
> > Wrong behavior in v6.3-rc5 kernel: "gpio *load* "gpiochip1" with overflow range -1,1024 and "gpiochip1" should not be loaded".
> > The underlying problem was already buried here.
> >
> > 2. Could use below command to check if "gpiochip1" generated:
> > As before v6.1, there was no "/sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/gpiochip1" sysfs folder due to overflow range -1,1024";
> > Wrong behavior in v6.3-rc5 kernel: "/sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/gpiochip1" sysfs folder generated as follow command check:
> > # find "/sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/" -name gpiochip* -type d | sort
> > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio-mockup/gpiochip1
> > If there is gpiochip* generated, gpio-mockup.sh kself-test would be failed also.
> > "
> >
> > Bisected and found the bad commit was:
> > "
> > 7b61212f2a07a5afd213c8876e52b5c9946441e2
> > gpiolib: Get rid of ARCH_NR_GPIOS
> > "
> > And after reverted the above commit on top of v6.3-rc5 kernel, above
> > gpio-mockup.sh kself-test could pass and this issue was gone.
> >
> > Now gpio-mockup.sh kself-test is failed on almost all x86 platform from
> > v6.2 cycle mainline kernel.
> >
> > I hope above info is helpful to solve the "gpio-mockup.sh kself-test failed"
> > problem.
>
> Thank you for the report and full analysis of the root cause. I think
> we may fix the test script however the gpio-mockup is obsoleted and
> should be actually replaced with tests again gpio-sim.

Thanks for your info! So we should ignore the gpio-mockup module related
test next time and the gpio-mockup kself-test is not necessary.
My colleague "Lai Yi" also found this issue.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ZCvusEIauvO8BLM5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

If there is a patch update please add:
"Reported-by: Pengfei Xu <pengfei.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Reported-by: Yi Lai <yi1.lai@xxxxxxxxx>