Re: [RFC 0/6] mm: improve page allocator scalability via splitting zones

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed May 24 2023 - 08:30:47 EST

[Sorry for late reply, conferencing last 2 weeks and now catching up]

On Tue 16-05-23 12:30:21, David Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]
> > And auto-tuning doesn't sound easy. Do you have some idea of how to do
> > that?
>
> If we could avoid instantiating more zones and rather improve existing
> mechanisms (PCP), that would be much more preferred IMHO. I'm sure it's not
> easy, but that shouldn't stop us from trying ;)

Absolutely agreed. Increasing the zone number sounds like a hack to me
TBH. It seems like an easier way but it allows more subtle problems
later on. E.g. hard to predict per-zone memory consumption and memory
reclaim disbalances.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs