Re: Bug report: kernel paniced when system hibernates

From: Alexandre Ghiti
Date: Wed May 24 2023 - 09:57:38 EST

Hi Conor,

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:49 PM Conor Dooley <conor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alex, Anup,
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 07:34:16PM +0530, Anup Patel wrote:

> > > I understand your point, the node name is the only thing I found that
> > > would work with current opensbi: any other idea what we could use instead?

> > > If needed, indeed #1 is the simplest, but I insist, to me it is not
> > > needed (and we don't have it in the current opensbi), if you have
> > > another opinion, I'm open to discuss it!
> >
> > I agree with you, backward compatibility with older firmwares
> > is important.
> >
> > Let's go with your proposed change to treat reserved DT nodes
> > with "mmode_resv*" name as M-mode firmware memory (it could
> > be any M-mode firmware). We will certainly need to document it
> > somewhere as an expectation of Linux RISC-V kernel.
>
> Actually, you two both probably know the answer to this, but was there a
> release done of OpenSBI where the reserved memory region was not
> specified to be no-map?

The reserved memory regions are *currently* not specified to be no-map
and that since v0.8: the culprit is commit 6966ad0abe70
("platform/lib: Allow the OS to map the regions that are protected by
PMP").

So to make sure we are on the same page:

- from 0.1 to 0.7 => reserved memory regions were marked as no-map
- starting from 0.8 => reserved memory regions are *not* marked as
no-map anymore

Hope that's clear!

Alex