Re: [linus:master] [perf parse] a4c7d7c502: perf-test.perf_pmu_event_count_group.count_group_cpu/branch-misses/_cpu/topdown-heavy-ops/_cpu/branch-misses/_R0.fail

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Mon May 29 2023 - 12:28:50 EST

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 12:30 AM kernel test robot
<oliver.sang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> kernel test robot noticed "perf-test.perf_pmu_event_count_group.count_group_cpu/branch-misses/_cpu/topdown-heavy-ops/_cpu/branch-misses/_R0.fail" on:
>
> commit: a4c7d7c502b935f3a8324d954de78aecf6940897 ("perf parse-events: Warn when events are regrouped")
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master

I'm having a hard time understanding the output from the test:

1) the output is filled with sanitizer output that makes it look like
a non-asan version of libc is being used, either that or we're missing
asan interceptors for functions called by perf. This means the noise
is much greater than the signal in the output.

2) the referenced test doesn't appear to be part of the "perf test"
set of tests. Are these additional tests that Intel have created?
Could we get them moved to "perf test" which is used as a pre-submit
and can help avoid regressions.

Why a warning would cause this test to start failing I'm not sure.
Given the amount of difficulty the harness has with asan I think
there's a good chance this is a false positive. It could also be that
the test expectations have changed and could have been fixed, which
would break external tests that make assumptions on things like
events. Moving the test to "perf test" would be the best way to
resolve this.

Thanks,
Ian