Re: Revert "module: error out early on concurrent load of the same module file"

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 30 2023 - 18:43:24 EST

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 6:19 PM Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know that the "Link:" for "mailing-list thread where patch originated"
> is mostly useless information [1], but when it comes to quickly reporting
> test results on the output of "git bisect", it comes in handy.

It was literally there in this case. We had multiple links, and you
may just have been overwhelmed by the pure cornucopia of links.

In this case is was the third one:

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ZG%2Fa+nrt4%2FAAUi5z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
[3]

which linked to that thread.

It's the links to pure patch submissions that are useless (ie the
"this is where I sent the patch"). Those lore can find for you
automatically.

Links to actual threads with background and test commentary are
useful, and I add those myself. There were several of them.

Linus