Re: Bug in short splice to socket?

From: Jakub Kicinski
Date: Tue May 30 2023 - 20:32:40 EST

On Tue, 30 May 2023 23:26:43 +0100 David Howells wrote:
> Interesting. Now that you've pointed me at it, I've tried running it. Mostly
> it passes, but I'm having some problems with the multi_chunk_sendfile tests
> that time out. I think that splice_direct_to_actor() has a bug. The problem
> is this bit of code:
>
> /*
> * If more data is pending, set SPLICE_F_MORE
> * If this is the last data and SPLICE_F_MORE was not set
> * initially, clears it.
> */
> if (read_len < len)
> sd->flags |= SPLICE_F_MORE;
> else if (!more)
> sd->flags &= ~SPLICE_F_MORE;
>
> When used with sendfile(), it sets SPLICE_F_MORE (which causes MSG_MORE to be
> passed to the network protocol) if we haven't yet read everything that the
> user requested and clears it if we fulfilled what the user requested.
>
> This has the weird effect that MSG_MORE gets kind of inverted. It's never
> seen by the actor if we can read the entire request into the pipe - except if
> we hit the EOF first. If we hit the EOF before we fulfil the entire request,
> we get a short read and SPLICE_F_MORE and thus MSG_MORE *is* set. The
> upstream TLS code ignores it - but I'm changing this with my patches as
> sendmsg() then uses it to mark the EOR.
>
> I think we probably need to fix this in some way to check the size of source
> file - which may not be a regular file:-/ With the attached change, all tests
> pass; without it, a bunch of tests fail with timeouts.

Yeah.. it's one of those 'known warts' which we worked around in TLS
because I don't know enough about VFS to confidently fix it in fs/.
Proper fix would be pretty nice to have.

The original-original report of the problem is here, FWIW:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1591392508-14592-1-git-send-email-pooja.trivedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

And my somewhat hacky fix was d452d48b9f8.