Re: [RFC] net: dsa: slave: Advertise correct EEE capabilities at slave PHY setup

From: Lukasz Majewski
Date: Wed May 31 2023 - 04:16:49 EST

Hi Russell,

> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 04:26:49PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > So, I'm wondering what's actually going on here... can you give
> > > any more details about the hardware setup?
> >
> > And what switch it actually is. I've not looked in too much detail,
> > but i think different switch families have different EEE
> > capabilities. But in general, as Russell pointed out, there is no
> > MAC support for EEE in the mv88e6xxx driver.
>
> ... except for the built-in PHYs,

This is my case.

> which if they successfully negotiate
> EEE, that status is communicated back to the MAC in that one sees
> MV88E6352_PORT_STS_EEE

I cannot find this register in my documentation.

> set, which results in the MAC being able to
> signal LPI to the PHY... and I've stuck a 'scope on the PHY media-side
> signals in the past and have seen that activity does stop without
> there needing to be any help from the driver for this.
>
> At least reading the information I have for the 88E6352, there is no
> configuration of LPI timers, nor any seperate LPI enable. If EEE is
> enabled at the MAC, then LPI will be signalled according to whatever
> Marvell decided would be appropriate.

And this knowledge is not disclosed to public.

> For an external PHY that the PPU is not polling, the only way that
> we'd have EEE functional is if we forced EEE in port control register
> 1 on switches that support those bits. In other words setting both the
> EEE and FORCE_EEE bits...

Are those bits available in c45 standard? Or are they SoC (IC) specific?

In my case I do have only two c45 registers disclosed (i.e. described)
for mv88e6071 SoC in the documentation.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Erika Unter
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@xxxxxxx