Re: [RFC] net: dsa: slave: Advertise correct EEE capabilities at slave PHY setup

From: Lukasz Majewski
Date: Wed May 31 2023 - 05:32:09 EST

Hi Oleksij,

> Hi Lukasz,
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 03:40:39PM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,

> > > Is EEE actually broken in the MAC/PHY combination?
> > >

> > Problem is that when I connect on this project some non-manageable
> > switches (which by default have EEE enabled), then I observe very
> > rare and sporadic link loss and reconnection.
>
> The interesting question is, do other link partner or local system is
> broken?

I was able to reproduce customer issue on my local setup with this
switch.

Moreover, only two devices were connected to this switch - mv88e6071
and the host PC.

> In some cases, not proper tx-timer was triggering this kind of
> symptoms. And timer configuration may depend on the link speed. So,
> driver may be need to take care of this.

The speed is only 100 Mbps, full duplex (as this switch only supports
speed up till 100Mbps).

> > Disabling EEE solves the problem.
> >
> > > You should not be using this DT option for configuration. It is
> > > there because there is some hardware which is truly broken, and
> > > needs EEE turned off.
> >
> > Yes, I do think that the above sentence sums up my use case.
>
> As Andrew already described, current linux kernel EEE support is not
> in the best shape, it is hard to see the difference between broken HW
> and SW.

Ok.

> > > If EEE does work, but you need to turn it off because of latency
> > > etc, then please use ethtool.
> > >

> > Yes, correct - it is possible to disable the EEE with
> >
> > ethtool --set-eee lan2 eee off
> >
> > However, as I've stated in the mail, I cannot re-enable EEE once
> > disabled with:
> >
> > ethtool --set-eee lan2 eee on
> >
> > ethtool --show-eee lan2
> > EEE Settings for lan2:
> > EEE status: not supported
> >

> > As the capability register shows value of 0.
>
> Some PHYs indeed have this issues:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/phy/micrel.c?h=v6.4-rc4#n1402
>
> In case of your older kernel version, you will need to fake access to
> the EEE caps register.

Thanks for pointing this out - I will add this functionality when
re-enabling of EEE will be required via ethtool.

> Regards,
> Oleksij

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Erika Unter
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@xxxxxxx