Re: [RFC] Adding Support for Firefox's Gecko Profile Format

From: Anup Sharma
Date: Tue Jul 04 2023 - 10:38:32 EST

On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 09:35:22AM +0300, Adrian Hunter wrote:
> On 29/06/23 09:26, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> > Hi Anup,

> >> This week I tried playing with perf-script-python, the first challenge was
> >> figuring out how to parse the data coming from the process_events.
> >> Understanding the structure and extracting the necessary information
> >> proved to be more complex than anticipated. This required me to spend
> >> a significant amount of time researching and experimenting with different
> >> parsing techniques.
> >
> > I'm not sure what kind of parsing you meant. IIRC the sample data is
> > in a dict and all the information should be available there. Maybe we
> > missed some new sample data types though.
>
> Most data is there. There are existing scripts in
> tools/perf/scripts/python/ for reference.
>
> There is also the dlfilter API:
>
> https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Latest_Manual_Page_of_perf-dlfilter.1

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I have been working on the using process_events function and have made
progress in developing the converter script. Currently, I am in the testing phase. However, I
have encountered a problem after performing some recent compilations. I am no longer receiving
the complete callchains in the output as I used to.
For Example, when I ran the command perf script -F +pid, the output would include detailed
information like the following example:

perf-exec 132554/132554 171854.674582: 356 cycles:P:
ffffffff8fab3fc6 arch_static_branch+0x6 (inlined)
ffffffff8fab3fc6 static_key_false+0x6 (inlined)
ffffffff8fab3fc6 native_write_msr+0x6 (/lib/modules/6.4.0-rc1/build/vmlinux)
ffffffff8fa12ca5 intel_pmu_enable_all+0x15 (/lib/modules/6.4.0-rc1/build/vmlinux)

However, in my current situation, the output is limited to the following:

perf 108107/108107 [000] 67650.031827: 1 cycles:P:
ffffffff83ab3fc4 native_write_msr+0x4 (/lib/modules/6.4.0-rc1/build/vmlinux)
perf 108107/108107 [000] 67650.031832: 1 cycles:P:
ffffffff83ab3fc4 native_write_msr+0x4 (/lib/modules/6.4.0-rc1/build/vmlinux)

It seems to be issue in perf record. I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance
in resolving this issue. Thank you all for your help.

Regards,
Anup