Re: Fwd: Memory corruption in multithreaded user space program while calling fork

From: Suren Baghdasaryan
Date: Tue Jul 04 2023 - 16:26:26 EST

On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Sorry, I thought since per-VMA locks were introduced in 6.4 and this
> > > patch is fixing 6.4 I didn't need to send it to stable for older
> > > versions. Did I miss something?
> >
> > 6.4.y is a stable kernel tree right now, so yes, it needs to be included
> > there :)
>
> I'm in wait-a-few-days-mode on this. To see if we have a backportable
> fix rather than disabling the feature in -stable.

Ok, I think we have a fix posted at [2] and it's cleanly applies to
6.4.y stable branch as well. However fork() performance might slightly
regress, therefore disabling per-VMA locks by default for now seems to
be preferable even with this fix (see discussion at
https://lore.kernel.org/all/54cd9ffb-8f4b-003f-c2d6-3b6b0d2cb7d9@xxxxxxxxxx/).
IOW, both [1] and [2] should be applied to 6.4.y stable. Both apply
cleanly and I CC'ed stable on [2]. Greg, should I send [1] separately
to stable@vger?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230703182150.2193578-1-surenb@xxxxxxxxxx/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230704200656.2526715-1-surenb@xxxxxxxxxx/