Re: Overly aggressive .gitignore file?

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Jul 05 2023 - 11:34:32 EST

On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 10:59:28AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Perhaps, a slightly similar case is *.patch.
> (We do ignore *.patch)
>
> People quite often run 'git format-patch'.
> And, the generated patches have similar prefixes.
> (0001-, 0002-, 0003-, ..., for good reasons)
>
> The autocomplete does not work if 000* files
> exist from the previous time I ran 'git format-patch'.
> I repeatedly run 'rm -f 00*' even if 'git status' does not show them.

Autocomplete "works", in so far that if you type 0<TAB>, it will
autocomplete up to 000 and then ring the terminal bell, at which point
I'll type say, 1<TAB>, and then if there are previous *.patch files,
it will ring the terminal bell again, and then if you type <TAB> a
second time, it will list the possible autocompletes.

I will also say that since of "rm -f <pattern includes a '*'>" is too
easy to accidentally screwup and delete something I would care about,
my solution is "git format-patch -o /tmp/p ...", since then I can
clear out the files by typing "rm -r /tmp/p".

Cheers,

- Ted

P.S. Also note that "git format-patch" will automatically create
/tmp/p if it doesn't exist, unlike how b4 works with the -o option.