Linux 6.5-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 09 2023 - 17:19:08 EST

Right on schedule two weeks after the 6.4 release, here we are and the
merge window is closed.

Nothing hugely unusual stands out - we had some VM annoyance, but the
fixes for that don't even show in the diffstat, which is (as usual)
dominated by drivers, with tooling and architecture updates a distant
second and third.

And even if you filter out all the drivers, tooling and architecture
changes out, the diff is still dominated by header file updates (much
of it due to some re-organization around our atomic ops) and
documentation updates.

At only after you filter out _that_ do you start seeing the core
changes - various filesystem updates (btrfs, ovlfs, f2fs, ext4), core
networking code, and then core kernel and mm updates.

Anyway, none of it looks hugely unusual. The biggest single mention
probably goes to what wasn't merged, with the bcachefs pull request
resulting in a long thread (we didn't hit a hundred emails yet, but
it's not far away).

Let's calm this party down. I have this slight suspicion that this may
be one of those releases that may drag out, not because there are any
particular issues I expect problems with, but simply due to lot of
Europe going on vacation for the month of August. But who knows...
We'll see how things develop.

And below is obviously just the usual shortlog of my merges, since at
around 12k non-merge commits, the full shortlog is much too big (even
if this was a fairly small merge window).

Linus

---

Adrian Glaubitz (1):
sh updates

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Alexander Gordeev (3):
s390 updates (x2)
more s390 updates

Alexandre Belloni (2):
i3c updates
RTC updates

Amir Goldstein (2):
overlayfs update
more overlayfs updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
gfs2 updates

Andrew Morton (3):
mm updates
non-mm updates
hotfixes

Ard Biesheuvel (1):
EFI updates

Arnd Bergmann (7):
ARM SoC devicetree updates
new ARM SoC support
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM SoC defconfig updates
ARM SoC updates
SoC fixes
asm-generic updates

Bartosz Golaszewski (1):
gpio updates

Bjorn Andersson (2):
hwspinlock update
remoteproc updates

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
pci updates

Borislav Petkov (14):
EDAC updates
RAS updates
x86 instruction alternatives updates
x86 build update
x86 resource control updates
x86 confidential computing update
x86 cpu updates
x86 microcode loader updates
misc x86 updates
x86 mtrr updates
x86 SEV updates
SGX update
x86 fpu fix
irq update

Casey Schaufler (1):
smack updates

Catalin Marinas (2):
arm64 updates
arm64 fix

Christian Brauner (7):
ntfs updates
misc vfs updates
vfs rename locking updates
vfs file handling updates
vfs mount updates
vfs fix
vfs fixes

Christoph Hellwig (2):
dma-mapping updates
dma-mapping fixes

Chuck Lever (2):
nfsd updates
nfsd fix

Damien Le Moal (2):
zonefs updates
ata updates

Dan Williams (1):
CXL updates

Daniel Thompson (1):
kgdb updates

Darrick Wong (4):
xfs updates
iomap updates
more xfs updates
xfs fix

Dave Airlie (2):
drm updates
drm fixes

Dave Hansen (4):
x86 irq updates
x86 platform updates
x86 tdx updates
x86 cleanups

David Kleikamp (1):
jfs updates

David Sterba (1):
btrfs updates

David Teigland (1):
dlm updates

David Woodhouse (1):
mm fix

Dinh Nguyen (1):
nios2 updates

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
input updates

Eric Biggers (2):
fscrypt update
fsverity updates

Gao Xiang (1):
erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greg KH (5):
Char/Misc updates
driver core updates
staging driver updates
tty/serial driver updates
USB / Thunderbolt driver updates

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Guo Ren (1):
arch/csky update

Gustavo Silva (1):
flexible-array update

Hans de Goede (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Helge Deller (3):
fbdev updates
parisc updates
more parisc architecture updates

Herbert Xu (1):
crypto updates

Huacai Chen (1):
LoongArch updates

Ilya Dryomov (1):
ceph updates

Ingo Molar (1):
objtool updates

Ingo Molnar (4):
scheduler updates
locking updates
perf events updates
x86 mm updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

Jakub Kicinski (2):
networking changes
networking fixes

James Bottomley (2):
SCSI updates
more SCSI updates

Jan Kara (3):
fsnotify updates
misc filesystem updates
fsnotify fix

Jason Gunthorpe (2):
iommufd updates
rdma updates

Jassi Brar (1):
mailbox updates

Jens Axboe (5):
splice updates
io_uring updates
block updates
io_uring fixes
more block updates

Jiri Kosina (1):
HID updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
iommu updates

John Johansen (1):
apparmor updates

Jon Mason (1):
NTB updates

Jonathan Corbet (4):
documentation updates
arm documentation move
arm64 documentation move
mode documentation updates

Juergen Gross (1):
xen updates

Kees Cook (4):
execve updates
pstore updates
hardening updates
hardening fixes

Konstantin Komarov (1):
ntfs3 updates

Lee Jones (3):
MFD updates
LED updates
backlight updates

Linus Walleij (1):
pin control updates

Luis Chamberlain (4):
module updates
sysctl updates
sysctl fix
another sysctl fix

Mark Brown (5):
regmap updates
regulator updates
spi updates
regulator fix
spi fixes

Masahiro Yamada (1):
Kbuild updates

Masami Hiramatsu (1):
probes updates

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
media updates

Max Filippov (1):
xtensa updates

Michael Ellerman (2):
powerpc updates
powerpc fixes

Michael Tsirkin (1):
virtio updates

Mickaël Salaün (1):
landlock updates

Miguel Ojeda (2):
rust updates
auxdisplay update

Mike Rapoport (1):
memblock updates

Mike Snitzer (1):
device mapper updates

Mimi Zohar (1):
integrity subsystem updates

Namhyung Kim (2):
perf tools updates
more perf tools updates

Palmer Dabbelt (2):
RISC-V updates
more RISC-V updates

Paolo Bonzini (1):
kvm updates

Paul McKenney (2):
RCU updates
nolibc updates

Paul Moore (3):
audit update
selinux updates
lsm updates

Peter Zijlstra (1):
scope-based resource management infrastructure

Petr Mladek (1):
livepatching update

Rafael Wysocki (6):
ACPI updates