Re: Expensive memory.stat + cpu.stat reads

From: Waiman Long
Date: Fri Jul 14 2023 - 13:24:39 EST

On 7/13/23 19:25, Ivan Babrou wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 5:44 PM Waiman Long <longman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/10/23 19:21, Ivan Babrou wrote:
On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 11:20 PM Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 04:22:28PM -0700, Ivan Babrou wrote:
Hello,

We're seeing CPU load issues with cgroup stats retrieval. I made a
public gist with all the details, including the repro code (which
unfortunately requires heavily loaded hardware) and some flamegraphs:

* https://gist.github.com/bobrik/5ba58fb75a48620a1965026ad30a0a13

I'll repeat the gist of that gist here. Our repro has the following
output after a warm-up run:

completed: 5.17s [manual / mem-stat + cpu-stat]
completed: 5.59s [manual / cpu-stat + mem-stat]
completed: 0.52s [manual / mem-stat]
completed: 0.04s [manual / cpu-stat]

The first two lines do effectively the following:

for _ in $(seq 1 1000); do cat /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/memory.stat
/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/cpu.stat > /dev/null

The latter two are the same thing, but via two loops:

for _ in $(seq 1 1000); do cat /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/cpu.stat >
/dev/null; done
for _ in $(seq 1 1000); do cat /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/memory.stat
/dev/null; done
As you might've noticed from the output, splitting the loop into two
makes the code run 10x faster. This isn't great, because most
monitoring software likes to get all stats for one service before
reading the stats for the next one, which maps to the slow and
expensive way of doing this.

We're running Linux v6.1 (the output is from v6.1.25) with no patches
that touch the cgroup or mm subsystems, so you can assume vanilla
kernel.

From the flamegraph it just looks like rstat flushing takes longer. I
used the following flags on an AMD EPYC 7642 system (our usual pick
cpu-clock was blaming spinlock irqrestore, which was questionable):

perf -e cycles -g --call-graph fp -F 999 -- /tmp/repro

Naturally, there are two questions that arise:

* Is this expected (I guess not, but good to be sure)?
* What can we do to make this better?

I am happy to try out patches or to do some tracing to help understand
this better.
Hi Ivan,

Thanks a lot, as always, for reporting this. This is not expected and
should be fixed. Is the issue easy to repro or some specific workload or
high load/traffic is required? Can you repro this with the latest linus
tree? Also do you see any difference of root's cgroup.stat where this
issue happens vs good state?
I'm afraid there's no easy way to reproduce. We see it from time to
time in different locations. The one that I was looking at for the
initial email does not reproduce it anymore:
My understanding of mem-stat and cpu-stat is that they are independent
of each other. In theory, reading one shouldn't affect the performance
of reading the others. Since you are doing mem-stat and cpu-stat reading
repetitively in a loop, it is likely that all the data are in the cache
most of the time resulting in very fast processing time. If it happens
that the specific memory location of mem-stat and cpu-stat data are such
that reading one will cause the other data to be flushed out of the
cache and have to be re-read from memory again, you could see
significant performance regression.

It is one of the possible causes, but I may be wrong.
Do you think it's somewhat similar to how iterating a matrix in rows
is faster than in columns due to sequential vs random memory reads?

* https://stackoverflow.com/q/9936132
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row-_and_column-major_order
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_interchange

Yes, it is similar to what is being described in those articles.

I've had a similar suspicion and it would be good to confirm whether
it's that or something else. I can probably collect perf counters for
different runs, but I'm not sure which ones I'll need.

In a similar vein, if we could come up with a tracepoint that would
tell us the amount of work done (or any other relevant metric that
would help) during rstat flushing, I can certainly collect that
information as well for every reading combination.

The perf-c2c tool may be able to help. The data to look for is how often the data is from caches vs direct memory load/store.

Cheers,
Longman