Re: Fwd: Unexplainable packet drop starting at v6.4

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Wed Jul 19 2023 - 08:31:04 EST

On 7/19/23 18:49, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 18.07.23 02:51, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>>
>> I notice a regression report on Bugzilla [1]. Quoting from it:
>>
>>> After I updated to 6.4 through Archlinux kernel update, suddenly I noticed random packet losses on my routers like nodes. I have these networking relevant config on my nodes
>>>
>>> 1. Using archlinux
>>> 2. Network config through systemd-networkd
>>> 3. Using bird2 for BGP routing, but not relevant to this bug.
>>> 4. Using nftables for traffic control, but seems not relevant to this bug.
>>> 5. Not using fail2ban like dymanic filtering tools, at least at L3/L4 level
>>>
>>> After I ruled out systemd-networkd, nftables related issues. I tracked down issues to kernel.
>> [...]
>> See Bugzilla for the full thread.
>>
>> Thorsten: The reporter had a bad bisect (some bad commits were marked as good
>> instead), hence SoB chain for culprit (unrelated) ipvu commit is in To:
>> list. I also asked the reporter (also in To:) to provide dmesg and request
>> rerunning bisection, but he doesn't currently have a reliable reproducer.
>> Is it the best I can do?
>
> When a bisection apparently went sideways it's best to not bother the
> culprit's developers with it, they most likely will just be annoyed by
> it (and then they might become annoyed by regression tracking, which we
> need to avoid).

I mean don't Cc: the culprit author in that case?

> I'd have forwarded this to the network folks, but in a style along the
> lines of "FYI, in case somebody has a idea or has heard about something
> similar and thus can help; if not, no worries, reporter is repeating the
> bisection".

Aha! I missed that point. I already have networking folks in To: list.

Thanks!

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara