Re: [GIT PULL] s390 fixes for 6.5-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jul 22 2023 - 14:52:47 EST

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 at 09:02, Heiko Carstens <hca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - Fix per vma lock fault handling: add missing !(fault & VM_FAULT_ERROR)
> check to fault handler to prevent error handling for return values that
> don't indicate an error

Hmm. The s390 code / people seems to still be a bit confused about the
VM_FAULT flags.

The commit comment says "With per-vma locks, handle_mm_fault() may
return non-fatal error flags".

That's actively misleading.

Why? Because handle_mm_fault() may - and will - return non-fatal error
flags *regardless* of the per-vma locks.

There's VM_FAULT_COMPLETED, there's VM_FAULT_MAJOR, there are all
those kinds of "informational" bits.

So honestly, when that patch then does

+ if (likely(!(fault & VM_FAULT_ERROR)))
+ fault = 0;

I feel like the code is very confused about what is going on, and is
papering over the real bug.

The *real* bug seems to be that do_protection_exception() and
do_dat_exception() do this:

fault = do_exception(regs, access);
if (unlikely(fault))
do_fault_error(regs, fault);

which is basically nonsensical. And the reason that s390 does that
seems to be that s390 (and arm, for that matter) seem, to have added a
few extra VM_FAULT_xyz bits that aren't part of VM_FAULT_ERROR, so
then in do_fault_error() you have that nonsensical "test some of the
fields as values, and other fields as bits".

Anyway, I have pulled this, since it clearly fixes a problem. But I do
think that the *deeper* problem is that s390 treats those bits as
errors in the first place, when they really aren't. Yes, the error
bits are *common*, but that field really shouldn't be seen as just
errors, and I really think that the deeper problem is that

if (unlikely(fault))
do_fault_error(regs, fault);

logic. It's simply wrong.

Of course, it looks like the reason you found this is that the s390
do_fault_error() then does a BUG() on any bits it doesn't understand.
You have that nonsensical "clear flags" in other places too. So it's
not like this work-around is new. But it's a workaround, and a sign of
confusion, I feel.

Maybe the extra s390 fault conditions should be added to the generic
list and added to the VM_FAULT_ERROR mask. I dunno.

Linus